Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Flea Market

It has often puzzled me as to how some outdoor markets became known as "flea markets."  Apparently a "flea market" is a name that was given in the old days to outdoor markets because fleas use to live in the markets and products.  The name originated in France where markets were full of used furniture, clothing , etc.  I visited a French flea market and the merchandise was casually spread on cloths placed on the ground.  Surprisingly, the market had unique items for sale.  I purchased several American silver dollars for $2.00 each.  Since, the 1960's flea markets have become popular in the United States, where such a market was often referred to as a "swap- meet."  My last trip to the market proved to be just as interesting as always.




 
 
 

THE FISHERMAN:  Mr. Fisherman had the catch of the day.  When I look at him I wonder if he found a new home that day.

 

   

PERFECT FIT:  These certainly are not one size fits all.

 

BAKED GOODS:  Samples of breads, salads, and delicious high calorie treats were being given out.  I'm sure the above would not help anyone wanting to fit into the above jeans.

 
 
 

BAGELS:  Everyone needs to try a French toast bagel.  As you can  see it is a very popular place.  If you request cream cheese, oh my, oh my.  Bagel varieties are plentiful.

 

 

THE GUYS:   Chances are these two fellows will not have to carry much.  Perhaps they came along for the ride, wonderful antiques and items  of interest  doesn't seem to be their thing.

 

     

BRACELETS:  Bracelets are very fashionable this year.  You will find many tables with jewelry items, priced from $1.00 to higher priced items.

 
 

SANTA:  Santa was for sale.  I wanted to give him my wish list, but he didn't respond.

 
 
 

YARN:  I enjoy seeing colors and the yarn in this picture was only part of the display of yarn for sale.

 

  

FOSSILS and MINERALS:  The gentleman who has this table is generally at the market  every week.  He is more than willing to discuss his wares.

 

 

CARVINGS:   I am always impressed with various carved items.  These two chairs had real character.

 
 
 

BONES:  Pet supplies are also available.  My little Skeeter would have the time of her life at this vendor's table.

 
 

FRUITS and VEGETABLES:  The apples were beautiful.  They are one of the special things about fall.

 
 

THE LITTLE PIG:  This little piggy found a very good home.  He now stands proudly in a special place to welcome guests.  Oh well, another enjoyable day at the flea market.  Lots and lots of things to see, BUT NO FLEAS!!!!  

 

2 comments:

  1. LOL! You had a wonderful career but I think you could have been a successful photographer. You have captured the excitement of the "Flea" market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW great flea market, I must go there...
    It was nice to see Steven in your pictures...
    It looks you had a good time...
    Diane

    ReplyDelete