Monday, June 11, 2012

Once Upon a Time

Does a story beginning with an introduction of once upon a time make you feel you might be starting to read a fantasy story?  My photos depict a once upon a time theme for they are treasures of my past.  Recently I was asked, "How were you able to save all these treasures from your childhood?"  The answer was relatively easy for I grew up when every toy, bike, doll, etc. had to be handled with care and gentleness.  When I look at my prized possessions I am happy to say I can fondly remember a wonderful once upon a time of my life with family and friends always  by my side.


Shooting marbles wasn't my greatest sport.  The shooter always seemed too big for my fingers and the neighborhood boys generally went home with my precious round pieces of glass.


Our Camp Fire Girls group was the greatest!  Earning the reward beads for specific tasks made us feel very special, and we were.  Each year we spent a week camping at the local lake.  I remember  because we had to walk pass the Boy Scout Camp to get to the lake.  My Indian name was Twanka and one thing Twanka did not like to do was march in a parade.                                                                                         


 I thoroughly enjoy all the little reminders of friends, family, events and a very special someone.



The first time I went to the circus was so very very special.  My little puppet monkey's head is stuffed with sawdust, and when my parents bought the little guy I didn't know what meant more the circus or the puppet.  The  shoes were mine and the hair  represents the day I had my braids cut off and a new style took their place. 


A very special robe.  When bath time was over I welcomed the opportunity to snuggle in my ---- made me feel like a princess robe. 

Shirley Temple doll was and still is very lovely.  Several years ago she spent a week in a doll hospital to have some "touch-up".  A new dress, shoes and original curled hair made her exquisite as ever. The little fur coat was made by my mother and yes it was once upon a time, but to me it feels like yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came back to this site and you see things that you didn't notice the first time. Seems funny to me how some things age. You can see some are less shiny, faded colors, styles that have changed, and worn fabric. Others things look brand new. The campfire girl's vest is still quite vibrant and so are the marbles. The monkey hand puppet is all the more precious because its age is quite evident in its worn fabric and style.

    ReplyDelete